Thursday, December 17

Escaping to Kruger (2) - Birding in the Parfuri

 

The Parfuri region in Kruger National Park
 

For the post on the first part of my  trip, click on this link  Escaping Kruger (1) - The Journey North

Baobabs are common
 

 I had booked on a Birding Course with Eco-training, but my main motivation was to "just be"in the Parfuri, enjoying the walks and game drives in areas and ecozones unique to this particular region of Kruger.

One consequence of this was that photography took a back seat, for a change. I always had my compact camera with me, but the Penatx and big lens stayed packed away in my tent.

 So no bird photos and any pics of animals are a little distant, or lower quality.

However, I hope you enjoy my landscape pics!

The Fever tree forest

Only 4 of us on the course

Between camp and the Limpopo River there is a wonderful Fever tree forest.

We saw a lot of birds, heard even more and had a bit of an adrenalin rush when buffalo ran through the thick bush not far from us.




 

Elephant & calf, not far from camp
One afternoon, we made the long drive to Crooks Corner on the Limpopo River, where the boundaries of 3 countries (South Africa, Zimbabwe and Mozambique) all meet. 

A healthy herd of Eland antelope

  And the excitement!!!!  My first sighting ever of Eland antelope in Kruger. There were quite a few youngsters and some beautiful mature bulls. This was when I was sorry I didn't have my bigger camera with me!

Buffalo and baobabs

 On another morning we went to the spectacular Lanner Gorge where the Luvuvhu River cuts through the sandstone ridges symbolic of this part of Kruger.


  Some of flowers coming up after the early rains
 On our last full day, the two trainee field guides on our course were required to do their exams, whilst the two of us who were there just for "fun"went on a long walk with the camp's Chief instructor/manager.

 

 

We started out at 4.30am every morning, being mid-summer, and on this day we had a welcome break from the cloud cover to have a stunning sunrise.




Dragon-fly


Some of the insects we found.

Dung beetles

On the Luvuvhu flood plain


And in the late afternoon, we went for a drive and sundowner stop at the Mutale River gorge.


Overall, I had a wonderful 6 days in the Parfuri. It was mostly overcast, which is not great for photography, but certainly kept the temperatures a little more tolerable.

Then, I headed south for 3 days back through Kruger (see the next post for more animal pics).

Going back south again

No comments: